Re: E-M:/ Woman allegedly uses gun to halt manure spreading

According to the victims and witnesses of the assault, the woman loaded the shotgun in front of them, thus the felonious assault charge.  This is the second time in recent memory that a "neighbor" of a farmer, legally spreading manure in conformance with all applicable laws, used a loaded shotgun (in the previous incident near Hudson, actually firing the weapon) to try to intimidate farm workers from doing their job.  I certainly hope that the Sierra Club would be as outraged as I am, and join me in publicly condemning this behavior.

While I understand that we may disagree as to whether manure should be recycled as a substitute for synthetic fertilizer, and whether the laws should or should not protect that activity, there can be no disagreement that currently, the law is very clear, that manure spreading, at agronomic rates that do not threaten surface water (but may certainly smell for a day or two) is absolutely legal, and in fact, encouraged.  This is regardless of whether the manure comes from small farms or large.

I look forward to your public condemnation of this woman, and anyone else who would use terroristic measures to advance their political agenda.

Ken Vermeulen

>>> "Anne Woiwode" <anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org> 09/04/02 06:37PM >>>

I can't find it on line, but on August 21 the Battle Creek Enquirer reported
that the day before a woman in Athens Twp, in Calhoun County, fed up with
the horrific stench of VDS Farms LLC spreading liquified manure on farmland
rented next door to their home, blocked the tanker truck with her minivan
and wielded an empty shot gun to get them to stop. She and her husband had
previously asked the workers to stop, but when they left the spreading
started again.

Her husband said "When you're sitting in your living room, it's like sitting
in a toilet.... I tried to tell her we should go through legal means.... but
she lost control."  She was reportedly simply looking forward to spending
some time at home and was frustrated with the smell, according to a State
Trooper. She was expected to be arraigned on charges of felonious assault.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of crappiness evidently is the new big three.

Anne Woiwode

Anne Woiwode, Staff Director, Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter
109 East Grand River Avenue, Lansing, Michigan 48906
517-484-2372; fax 517-484-3108  anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org
visit the Mackinac Chapter on the web at http://michigan.sierraclub.org