Re: E-M:/ Woman allegedly uses gun to halt manure spreading

John, could you please forward to me the health hazard information.  I would be very interested in seeing it.

Ken

>>> John Klein <jtklein@frontiernet.net> 09/05/02 12:50PM >>>
It is obvious from Kenneth Vermeulen's statement that he has little
firsthand experience with amount and frequency of the odor produced by
these animal factories.

I question whether he has had to alter his lifestyle as many of us have
had to do. My family has been forced to this after 16 years living in
the same house because of the recent construction of a large dairy .

We frequently have to close windows in warm weather, both day and night,
because of the odors. In some months it is more than 50% of the time. We
now start our day by checking for odors before we open windows.

We have had to apologize to family and friends about the obnoxious smell
as they were leaving a gathering early at my home.

We have had to make plans to not be at our own home, because of the
putrid smell and danger from these odors. Both the Iowa and North
Carolina studies have shown that the odors contain dangerous chemicals
such as ammonia and hydrogen sulfide. These odors are not only
offensive, they are a health hazard.

We are now forced to consider relocating family and business because of
the dangerous odors (and the excessive pollution of our waterways).

Just because something is legal, doesn't make it right. Not too long ago
in our nation's history, we had something called slavery. I do not
condone the Athens Township woman's action, but I do understand her
frustration.

Profit for these animal factories should not come at the expense of the
neighbors and the environment.  Changes need to made quickly before the
land is destroyed for future generations.

John Klein - President
Environmentally Concerned Citizens of South central Michigan