Re: E-M:/ Article on 9/14 protest at Ice Mountain bottling plant

Enviro-Mich message from Frank Ambrose <snakeman1549@yahoo.com>

It does not matter if it is the largest diversion or
the only this or that. What matters is that they are
taking our water, which is now free (or pretty cheap
considering pumping costs etc.), and making it
something we pay for. The situation is also analagous
to timber sales in public forests. If the agencies
involved only took a couple of trees from a single 100
acres every 4-5 years, there would not be any public
outcry. But it is the cumulative effects of all the
small timber sales that make a difference.

Unfortunately for our water, it is not as easy as just
going after one agency (like the DNR or the Forest
Service for the forest) and all or most of our water
woes are gone.  We have to attack each of the problems
as they come up, and we also have to try to find
common ground to link up the individuals as we can.

Anyway, making water private is not the answer and is
one of the many problems. We need to continue to fight
Ice Mountain to ensure that no other companies move in
and/or Ice Mountain does not expand (they are looking
a numerous other well sites if this one goes as
planned).

Frank