Re: E-M:/ Article on 9/14 protest at Ice Mountain bottling plant

At 02:28 PM 9/18/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from Frank Ambrose <snakeman1549@yahoo.com>
>
>It does not matter if it is the largest diversion or
>the only this or that.

You don't really believe that, do you??   Those who
run from quantitative analysis of environmental insults
and resource consumption don't do us any favors.  Of course,
the largest diversions should be the largest concern.   This
is part of managing for environmental results.   If you don't
manage for environmental results, you're never going to
get anywhere on protection of the environment and conservation
of resources.   This is one of the best lessons that former EPA
Regional Administrator Val Adamkus left us with before going
back to be President of Lithuania

>  What matters is that they are
>taking our water, which is now free (or pretty cheap
>considering pumping costs etc.), and making it
>something we pay for.

Why is that more important than the magnitude of diversion
of Great Lakes water??   After all, you don't have to buy your
water in those little bottles....or you can buy the containers once
for the the convenience of the containers and then fill them with
tap water.....   And, while on the issue of economics, why is that
more offensive than Consumers Energy or Detroit Edison taking
the basin's water and sending it out cooling towers with no economic
benefit (other than from the production of electricity) and no
energy conservation benefit (such as would occur if electricity production
was done in conjunction with industrial steam use or district heating)?

>Unfortunately for our water, it is not as easy as just
>going after one agency (like the DNR or the Forest
>Service for the forest) and all or most of our water
>woes are gone.  We have to attack each of the problems
>as they come up, and we also have to try to find
>common ground to link up the individuals as we can.

This maybe works on a political basis, but it is not a great
approach to overall environmental management.

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com