Re: E-M:/ Article on 9/14 protest at Ice Mountain bottling plant

Enviro-Mich message from "David J. Zaber" <dzaber@chorus.net>

Quantity and quality both matter.  Removal of five hundred gallons per
minutes flow from a spring that discharges five hundred gallons of water per
minute may indeed have more serious ecological consequences than would 1000
gallons per minute removed from a stream such as the Grand River.  Thus,
quantity alone cannot be the single determinant of what is or is not
biologically significant (relatively); it's one factor among many.

Regardless, the reason I am posting is to pass on that Perrier is letting
its permit for groundwater withdrawls lapse here in Wisconsin without
renewing them.  They have stated that their operations in Michigan are doing
just fine so they are not interested in coming to Wisconsin.

The article was on the front page of the Wisconsin State Journal but I
cannot find it on their website.

snip

"Lynn Morgan, public relations for Nestle, (formerlly Perrier Group of
America), said in a telephone interview on tuesday.  "During our search for
a plant in the Midwest we looked at Wisconsin and at Big Springs," Morgan
said.  "Nestle Waters went to Michigan.  The plant there is up and running
and doing well, so our site search has been fulfilled."