E-M:/ Sierra Club Backs Deb Cherry in State Senate Race

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <daniel.farough@sierraclub.org>

NEWS FROM THE SIERRA CLUB

For immediate Release							Contact: Dan Farough
September 23, 2002 							(517) 484-2372 Cell: (517) 410-1555

DEB CHERRY WINS SIERRA CLUB BACKING!

WATER CHAMPION KEY TO BUILDING “ENVIRONMENTAL MAJORITY”
IN STATE SENATE, GROUP SAYS

WATERFORD – State Senate candidate, Deborah Cherry received the Sierra Club’
s endorsement at the Fish Hatchery Park in Waterford today in her bid for
the 26th district.  Cherry was hailed as a champion of water quality who is
needed to help rebuild an environmental majority in the State Legislature.
“Deborah Cherry was one of our leaders as a State Representative, said Dan
Farough, Political Director of the Michigan Sierra Club.  “After 12 years of
the Engler-Posthumus roll back of our environmental laws, we need leaders
like Deb Cherry who will protect water quality, the public’s right to know,
and stop Michigan from becoming a dumping ground for out-of –state waste.”

"I am proud to be endorsed by the Sierra Club, which has such a great
history of working to protect our tremendous natural resources," said
Cherry.  "If I am elected to the state Senate, I will work with citizens and
the environmental community to defend our Great Lakes from exploitation,
protect Michigan from becoming a dumping ground for out-of-state waste, and
protect our water by improving sewer systems and water quality monitoring."

The Sierra Club gave glowing reviews of Cherry’s environmental plan, calling
it “right on target” in addressing many of the State’s critical
environmental challenges.  Among the provisions, the Cherry plan calls for
upgrading sewer systems, a comprehensive water monitoring system which
ensures water quality, upholds the public right-to-know, and discourages
tolerance of polluters.  The plan would strengthen polluter pay laws by
requiring polluters to pay based on the amount and toxicity of discharges
and would restrict the importation of out-of-state waste.

As a State Representative, Cherry fought for many of elements in her plan
and against the Engler-Posthumus rollback of Michigan’s landmark
environmental laws.  Among the hallmarks of her record, Cherry voted against
polluter secrecy legislation, which allows polluters in Michigan to keep
illegal discharges secret if found as part of an internal audit.  She voted
for wetlands protection, for efforts to get mercury out of our water and
environment, and against out-of-state waste.  Cherry was also a leader on
efforts to upgrade sewer infrastructure to keep raw and partially treated
sewage out of our lakes and rivers.

Local leaders hailed Cherry as a responsive former State Representative who
would serve the district well in the Senate.  “Deb Cherry knows the needs of
the district and the State when it comes to our air, land and water,” said
Bob Simpson, chair of the local Sierra Club.  “We need a proven champion of
the environment like Deb Cherry in the Senate and will do all we can to make
sure she gets there.”