E-M:/ Tri-State Coalition Fights Animal Factories

Tri-State Citizens Groups Unite in Animal Factory Fight

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                  Contact: Lynn Henning
                                                                                  Environmentally Concerned Citizens
                                                                                  Of South Central Michigan (ECCSCM)
                                                                                   517-445-2450
September 25, 2002

Wauseon, OH- A rapid influx of new industrial-sized livestock operations, followed by a rash of recent manure spills, prompted representatives from eight Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana concerned citizens groups to band together to protect air quality, water quality and rural quality of life.

The new coalition, Tri-State Citizens for Clean Air and Water, includes eight local groups: Concerned Citizens for the Protection of the Beaver
Creek Watershed, Citizens of Central Ohio, Environmentally Concerned Citizens of South Central Michigan, Fulton County Citizens for Responsible Agriculture, Neighbors Against Pollution, Paulding County First, Putnam County Citizens for Clean Air and Water, and Wood County Citizens Opposed to Factory Farms.

The coalition was established to unite local citizen groups from Michigan, Indiana and Ohio who are opposed to factory farm operations in their communities.  Two state-wide Ohio groups, the Ohio Environmental Council and the Ohio Family Farm Coalition, were represented at the Tri-State meeting on Saturday, September 21.

"This coalition provides us with a much needed forum to share ideas and resources", said Nancy Mathews, member of Paulding County First.  "Most of us have other jobs and commitments, limiting the time and energy we are able to put into fighting our battles."

The recent meeting gave citizens the opportunity to share tips on monitoring factory farm operations, filing complaints with state agencies, working with the media, and generating public support.

"We're all facing similar factory farm pollution threats" stated Madelon Salsbury, Concerned Citizens for the Protection of the Beaver Creek Watershed.  "It is uplifting to gather together to not only share information, but also support for our efforts."

Tri-State Citizens for Clean Air and Water will meet again on January 11, 2003 in Northwestern Ohio.