E-M:/ Sierra Club Endorses Mike Hanley for State Senate

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <daniel.farough@sierraclub.org>

NEWS FROM SIERRA CLUB

For immediate Release							Contact: Dan Farough
September 26, 2002 							(517) 484-2372 Cell: (517) 410-1555

MIKE HANLEY WINS SIERRA CLUB BACKING!

CHAMPION KEY TO BUILDING “ENVIRO-MAJORITY”
IN STATE SENATE, GROUP SAYS

GOSCHKA’S VOTES HARM PINE AND TITABAWASSEE COMMUNITIES

SAGINAW AND ALMA – Standing alongside the troubled Tittabawassee and Pine
Rivers today, State Senate candidate, Mike Hanley received the Sierra Club’s
endorsement and was hailed as a champion of polluter accountability and
water quality.  The Sierra Club said that Hanley is needed to help rebuild
an environmental majority in the State Senate and address the district’s
longstanding environmental problems.  “Mike Hanley stood up for communities
hurt by DDT and dioxin contamination along the Pine and Tittabawassee Rivers
when he cast votes to stop the rollback of Michigan’s landmark polluter pay
and accountability laws,” said Dan Farough, Political Director of the Sierra
Club in Michigan.  “We whole-heartedly endorse Mike Hanley because this
district needs a champion of our air, land and water in the Senate.”

"The highly toxic chemicals along the Pine and Tittabawassee Rivers show how
important it is to send people to Lansing who'll fight to protect our
families from pollution,” said Hanley.  “It's tragic that we need signs in
our parks that warn parents to be careful where their children play.  It's
disturbing that our Senator actually voted to reduce emission and clean up
standards for these very same toxins. I'm very proud that the Sierra Club
has acknowledged my record by endorsing my candidacy."

The Sierra Club reviewed the records of both Hanley and Goschka and found a
tremendous gulf between the two on the most significant environmental issues
for the district: clean up standards, polluter secrecy, accountability, and
pay issues.  As a State Representative, Mike Hanley fought the
Engler-Posthumus administration’s passage of legislation which allowed
polluters to keep illegal discharges secret (SB 728, rc 128 1996), lowered
public health based clean up standards at toxic sites (HB 4596 rc 241,
1995),  and shifted clean up responsibility away from polluters to tax
payers (HB 4596, rc 239, 1995).  Mike Goschka supported these pieces of
legislation.  “Mike Goschka voted against issues most pertaining to district
’s environmental problems – polluter pay, accountability, public health
based clean up standards and secrecy, said Farough.  “These votes have made
it much harder on the Tittabawassee and Pine River communities to address
public health threats from toxic contamination.”

Hanley was also praised for supporting legislation to get sewage out of
Michigan waters (SB 904, rc 644, 1998), clean up contaminated drinking water
sources (SB 904, rc 662, 1998), for working to reduce mercury emissions from
coal-fired power plants (SB 937, 5/31/00), for supporting restrictions on
out-of-state waste (SB 941, rc 629, 1996).  Hanley earned kudos for voting
to uphold local control regulations on massive animal factories which
pollute the air and water of rural communities (SB 205, 12/9/1999).

The Sierra Club views Hanley’s race as critical in its effort to rebuild an
environmental majority in the Michigan Senate and restore Michigan’s
tradition of environmental stewardship.  “After 12 years of roll backs of
our environmental laws, we need leaders like Mike Hanley who will protect
water quality, hold polluters accountable, and make sure the public has a
right to know,” said Farough. “We need a new direction in the Michigan
Legislature when it comes to protecting our air, land and water and Mike
Hanley has the record and dedication to do it.  The same simply cannot be
said of Mike Goschka.”

###