Re: www site? specifications? Re: E-M:/ Solar Home Tour

Hello Tom,

I am posting this back to the E-M list, as some of the points below may be
of general interest to the group.

Thanks for the contacts below on the solar home tour but I was hoping for
a www site with in-depth technical details and contacts in Michigan not
for me, but for the general public.

I think that is necessary to build public interest, as most people don't
have a clue as to what is possible with alternative energies and how to
proceed with utilizing those energies to power their homes, businesses,
etc.

I first became interested at least 30 years ago when I read about the
beginnings of the superinsulation program in Canada (the R-2000 program).
>From there, I progressed to reading Ned Nisson's "The Superinsulated Home
Book" which was the first effort at a builders manual explaining the
principles of superinsulation to reduce heating/cooling loads by 90%.

This superinsulation only adds about 10% to the cost of the project
and as you can extrapolate, the payback is very rapid.

Once you achieve that 90% reduction of heating/cooling loads, using
alternative energy to take care of that last 10% of the load to get
the structure entirely off the energy grid, becomes fairly simple.

Until the public builds to those necessary high r values and low levels of
air infiltration, selling private, on-site electric power generation via
photovoltaics, wind, hydro, etc. is difficult, as the loads they are
expected to carry are too high and thus, the systems are too expensive.

I think the best place in the USA which stresses this, is the Energy
Efficient Building Association (EEBA), "http://eeba.org/";, and I think
Michigan needs something similar, where the public and contractors can go
to learn the basics and proceed from there.

Also, if you visit their bookstore, they carry builders manuals which are
far more advanced in explaining energy efficient building practices to
reduce heating/cooling loads by 90%, than the original effort by Ned
Nisson in his manual mentioned above.

They offer four builders manuals: Cold Climate Builders Guide, Mixed
Climate Builders Guide, Hot Dry Climate Builders Guide, Hot Humid Builders
Guide.

Michigan falls in the cold climate category and there is much more
detailed information at the publisher, Building Science Corporation:

Climate Specific Building Details
http://www.buildingscience.com/housesthatwork/default.htm
See the Hygro-Thermal Regions Map.

It explains the various climate zones. In additional, there is a wealth of
other information on energy efficient building design at this site which
is not directly available at the above EEBA link.

In short:

there has to be a centralized facility in Michigan, which deals with all
aspects of energy efficient building practices and alternative energies to
then generate on-site electric power using the "free" energy that Mother
Nature provides with the sun and wind, not just bits and pieces of the
"how to" explanation or otherwise, the learning curve is too difficult for
both the general public and contractors, architects, etc.

Maybe your college would take on this educational task and also consider
setting up sub-sites, similar to that of Michigan State University with
their agricultural extension services in the various counties.

Regards,

Lowell Prag