E-M:/ Sustainable Community Economics in a Democratic Society

Enviro-Mich message from "Link, Terry" <link@mail.lib.msu.edu>

3rd in the Sustainability: Visions for an Alternative Future, Speaker Series.

 Prof. Rex LaMore, Monday September 30 4:00-5:30 317 Bessy. "Sustainable Community Economics in a Democratic Society"

Free and Open to the public

		Rex LaMore is State Director of the Michigan State University Center for Urban Affairs Community and Economic Development Program and a faculty member at MSU where he teaches ethics and urban policy analysis. In 1995 he was the national recipient of the Community Development Society's Distinguished Service Award.

		 The U.S. is engaged in a national debate around competing beliefs - on the one hand, we hold the belief that citizens have a right to participate in the issues that effect their lives and on the other hand, our free market economy is based on the principle of if you own it, you control it and have the right to decide its use.

		This session will explore these competing paradigms, examine the impacts of these beliefs on the creation of sustainable community economies and discuss methods of community and economic development that can preserve the potentially desirable characteristics of each of these beliefs.

Terry Link, Director
Office of Campus Sustainability
Michigan State University
525 S. Kedzie