E-M:/ "what else does one do with manure?"

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Grant Trigger wrote:

> Enviro-Mich message from "Grant Trigger" <GTrigger@honigman.com>
>
> Careful about these generalizations - consider how many rural
> communities have waste water lagoons as the only feasible method of
> wastewater treatment.  The simple fact the lagoons are used does not
> make them cesspools - and I suspect (but do not know) that we may still
> manage more human waste via septic tanks than CAFO  lagoons - the facts
> on that might be interesting.  It is unclear to me what the alternatives
> are - since manure has been spread on farms since even before horses
> were pulling wagons what else does one do with manure?

Hmmmm...

you ignore the obvious answer to "what else does one do with manure?"

You first compost it correctly which destroys not only pathogens but also,
provides an end product which does not smell and which is then re-applied
to the soil as fertilizer.

In addition, if one does the composting in large, closed, concrete vessels
without the presence of oxygen, methane (natural gas) is also produced in
the composting process, which can be used for heat, producing electricity,
and also running farm vehicles.

Lagoons, etc. are a cheap alternative which do not destroy pathogens
and create many other problems.

In short, the technology exists to safely eliminate farm manure problems.

The problem is implementing it and government assistance in covering the
initial capital expenses, is necessary due to the already precarious
financial conditions on most of our farms.

Lowell Prag