Re: E-M:/ "what else does one do with manure?"

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Kenneth Vermeulen wrote:

> Lowell, I've got several large farming operations that are very
> interested in putting in a digester/methane collection co-gen facility.
> Unfortunately, there always seems to be some major obstacle, like sand
> bedding, or a water discharge permit for the outflow from the solids
> separator, or the volume of manure necessary to make the project
> sustainable vs. the market for the compost.
>
> If you've got some expertise in this area, have I got some
> opportunities for you.
>
> Give me a call.
>
> Ken 616-752-2166

Hello Ken,

I am not an engineer, just self taught in a number of disciplines.

The best place to get more info from engineers and info on the equipment
for composting manure and all other organic wastes, either large scale or
small scale, is the U.S. Composting Council:

http://compostingcouncil.org/

See especially their link to:
Farm-scale Composting Resource List
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/farmcompost.html#top

Also, join the councils mailing list to ask questions, as most of the
major equipment suppliers and engineers in the USA belong to the list.

To join the mailing list:

To post after joining:
compost@compostingcouncil.org

Also, Jim on the list, jim@composter.com, is very knowledgeable and he
could help you find the engineers in Michigan, who are most knowledgeable
in anaerobic digester composting for also producing methane.

I know for fact, there is a www page somewhere on the history of anaerobic
digesters in Michigan but I can't remember just where. There is also a
department in Michigan government somewhere which coordinates with some
federal programs to push the technology.

There were some early problems in the USA, with understanding the
technology but that has been solved now. The major problem presently would
be finding the best expertise in Michigan, rather than having to find it
in other states.

In reality, the most knowledge is in Europe where they have been using the
anaerobic digester technology for a long time, but to solve your specific
problems, I would start with the above contacts.

Hope this helps.

Lowell Prag