Re: Re: E-M:/ "what else does one do with manure?"

Lowell, Ken and others,

Check out these and other resources from the Michigan Biomass Energy Program...

at: http://michiganbioenergy.org/

Anaerobic digestion is the decomposition of organic matter in an oxygen free environment, which releases a mixture of mostly methane and carbon dioxide commonly called biogas. Biogas can be used to generate heat and/or electricity.  Animal waste from cows, pigs and poultry as well as food processing and municipal solid wastes are examples of the feedstocks that can be utilized in anerobic digesters.  Anerobic digesters typically operate at temperature ranging from 95 F to 135 F and can reduce odor problems by 97%.  Digesters can also reduce harmful pathogens (such as E-coli and Samonella) by almost 100% when operated at higher temperatures.  The three main types of digesters currently utilized are the complete-mix digester, plug-flow digester, and covered lagoon digester.

publications

links

Energy Crops In Michigan - (9/10) A new discussion paper on energy crops is available from the Michigan Biomass Energy Program. The paper provides basic energy crop information, explores opportunities and constraints for the development and use of energy crops, and discusses crops that could be grown in Michigan. The use of energy crops for power generation is a primary focus of this paper. Access the complete paper -- ENERGY CROPS and Their Potential Development in Michigan (click here).
(Excerpt from WIMS Daily, Septembre 11, 2002)

WIMS Daily is produced each business day (some exceptions) and is available as a supplemental free service to Michigan Waste Report subscribers.  WIMS Daily is also available separately in a National ($139/year, eNewsUSA) and Michigan edition ($189/year).  Copyright 2002. Permission is granted for Internal Distribution Only.

Waste Information & Management Services, Inc. (WIMS)
2002. Permission is granted for Internal Distribution Only.
www.EcoBizPort.com "A Whole New World Of Environmental Information"
Environmental News & Information For 22 Years
Publishers of Michigan Waste Report
Jeff Dauphin, President
818 Avenue D, Traverse City, MI 49686-3532
Phone: 231-932-1366, Fax: 231-932-1383
E-Mail:
jd@ecobizport.com