E-M:/ Saturday Oct. 12 - Pine River Monitoring Day

Hello Michigan Enviros

From:              Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter Water Sentinels Project,

109 E. Grand River Avenue, Lansing, Michigan 48906

517-484-2372

What:              Announcing the Fall 2002 Pine River Benthic Macroinvertebrate Refresher Training and Monitoring Day

When:             Saturday October 12 at 8:30AM

Where:            Alma College in the Geology Laboratory Dow Kapp Building Room 234

Details:            We will have a refresher training in benthic macroinvertebrate collection and identification for all Pine River volunteers on Saturday October 12 at 8:30am at Alma College.  Immediately following the training, we will assign monitoring teams, pass out monitoring equipment and go to our stream sites.

Please:            RSVP to Rita Jack at rita.jack@prodigy.net or at 517-484-2372

We are looking for volunteers to help monitor the Pine River in Gratiot County, MI.  The Pine River is severely degraded after decades of toxic discharges by chemical companies and refineries, and other industries.  The Sierra Club’s Water Sentinels Project collects and uses benthic macroinvertebrates, including aquatic insects, snails, and crustaceans such as crayfish, to determine the quality of the aquatic habitat.

If you are interested in helping, please contact Rita Jack as soon as possible at the Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter office in Lansing at 517-484-2372.  No experience is necessary, as long as you can follow direction from other “seasoned” Sentinels!

Thank you!

Rita Jack

Water Sentinels Project Director

Mackinac Chapter Sierra Club

tel:  517-484-2372

rita.jack@prodigy.net

"Speak out - even if your voice shakes."