E-M:/ Re: options for biodegradable municipal waste

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, WIMS wrote:

> Lowell,
>
> I have enjoyed your comments on this issue.
>
> In light of your recent post and your discussion of... "Composting all our
> urban organic waste and returning it to to the
> farm soil would help, instead of dumping it in landfills...," I thought you
> might be interested in this timely European report that was issued today and
> which I reported on in WIMS Daily/eNewsUSA... Here is the article:
>
> EU Biodegradable MSW Management - (10/1) The European Commisson has released
> a report which provides an economic analysis of options for managing
> biodegradable municipal waste. The report indicates that the costs of
> landfilling and incineration have shown a tendency to rise whereas those for
> enclosed composting and anaerobic digestion have, if anything, shown a
> tendency to fall.  The report concludes that notwithstanding the limitations
> of this type of analysis, there is little to suggest that a policy mandating
> source separation of biodegradable municipal waste would be damaging if
> imposed in the European Union (EU). Access a website on the issue which
> includes the complete report, an Executve Summary and related information
> (click here). http://europa.eu.int/comm/environment/waste/compost/index.htm

Hello Jeff,

Yes, alternative waste disposal is beginning to make sense to many people
but we are still a long ways from the zero concept.

i.e: zero discharge from industry by implementing clean technologies
rather than trying to scrub emissions from bad technologies, a hydrogen
infrastructure to make fuels cells a reality and rid our selves of fossil
fuels, complete recycling of organic and non-organic wastes, etc.

>From a technical standpoint, all of that is possible. All that remains
is for the general public to agree politically that it is time to stop
poisoning ourselves and make the planet habitable for future generations.

Lowell Prag