From: Karen Trevino [mailto:ktrevino@asgren.com]
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 9:39 AM
To: 'RobC313@aol.com'
Cc: 'enviro-mich@great-lakes.net'
Subject: RE: E-M:/ Wildlife Habitat Council certifies Fighting Island in l ower Detroit...

The Wildlife Habitat Council has been around for probably 13-15 years ( I think a similar groups have been in the UK before that though).  They started out somewhere in Maryland - maybe Silver Spring although I can't remember exactly and I am not even sure if they are still there.  Historically, their main focus was getting companies with huge corporate offices on huge chunks of land with huge rolling lawns (often in newer suburban areas) to try to get rid of the "lawn effect" and go native by working with them (the company itself must appoint an employee council so the efforts are internalized and perpetual) and teaching them how to do things like re-instate native grasses, plant various bushes to attract native wildlife, etc..  I think their focus may have broadened a bit over the years to other wildlife issues but I couldn't be sure.  It's been a while since I worked with them.  While I sympathize with your paranoia since there are plenty of groups that have misleading names, this isn't one of them.

Regards,
Karen Kovacs Treviņo
Director, Environmental Programs
ASG Renaissance