E-M:/ Leverage Europe's ecological experience?

Was: RE: / $2 billion for fuel cells, other renewables

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Donna K. Mallonee wrote:

> Thanks for this. I believe Europe is ahead of us on issues such as land-use
> and natural resource consumption.  We should leverage their experience.

Hello Donna,

I believe the reason we don't leverage their experience is related to the
fact that their countries are very small compared to the USA, and they do
a much better job with overall foresight leading to political consensus.

Translated to the needs of the USA, this means the states themselves must
take the lead and demonstrate solutions which can then hopefully, be
translated into federal legislation, etc.

In essence, most everything stems from grass roots in the USA and the
initial burden is on local groups to take action and build from there.

The main exception is problems which directly affect corporate
interests and they have access to fast track solutions.

i.e:

fuel cells for converting hydrogen to electricity, have been around for
over a hundred years and we could have weaned our selves from fossil fuels
long ago but instead, we have chosen to maintain a military mainly to
protect our oil interests, rather than explore other fuel options via
hydrogen, solar, wind, etc.

Given the expense of that military approach to protect our oil interests
and the slow realization that global warming is a fact, the oil industry
is quietly buying into alternative energies that they previously opposed,
now that they realize their demise is otherwise eventually eminent.

In short, having our government presently controlled in the main, by the
oil industry, is not the most expeditious way to establish sane, national
environmental policy.

I would further argue that 9/11 and the ongoing resentment of the Muslim
world created by our intrusions into their countries to protect our oil
interests, could have been avoided by something as simple as fuel cells
and the foresight to implement a hydrogen infrastructure to power them.

Scientists have been arguing that for many, many years but it has taken a
series of wars and other catastrophes to finally make that realization and
it is now driving the fast track for fuel cell implementation.

Lowell Prag