E-M:/ Michigan Natural Areas Council

Enviro-Mich message from bgrese@umich.edu

MNAC FALL MEETING TO FEATURE STEWARDSHIP IN STATE PARK NATURAL AREAS:

Guest Speaker:
Glenn Palmgren,  Stewardship Ecologist
Michigan Natural Features Inventory &
MDNR, Parks & Recreation Bureau, Stewardship Program

When:  November 17

Agenda:
11:30-1:00  	Business meeting: Strategic Planning; Natural Area Dedications
1:00 - 1:45 	Slide Presentation:  Stewardship in State Park Natural Areas
		Includes prairie, oak barrens, oak forest, and dune restoration activities
2:00 - 4:00 	Hike in Haven Hill Natural Areas, Highland State Park

Where:  Best Western Concorde Inn of Waterford

Come and learn first-hand what is going on in our State Park Natural Areas.
Glenn Palmgren, will provide an overview of some exciting and highly
successful stewardship activities in several of our State Parks.  Following
his talk you are invited to join us while he leads a hike through Haven
Hill Natural Area at Highland Lake State Park in Waterford.  Glenn, a
graduate of the University of Michigan, has worked for Michigan Natural
Features Inventory for 3  years as a stewardship ecologist.  His primary
responsibility is to advise MDNR, Parks Division on resource management
issues.  He has many hours of on-the-ground stewardship under his belt with
great results.

Directions:
>From the north:	US-23 or I-75 south to M-59; east to Concord Inn
		I-75 south to M-59; west to Concorn Inn
>From the west: 	I-96 east to M-59; east to Concord Inn
	I-94 east to M-14, east to US-23, north to M-59, east
>From the south:  US-23 north to M-59, east to Concord Inn
>From the east: 	I-94 west to US-23; north to M-59, east to Concord Inn
		I-96 west to US-23, north to M-59, east to Concord Inn

Robert E. Grese
Director, Nichols Arboretum
Associate Professor, School of Natural Resources and Environment
University of Michigan--Ann Arbor