Press Conference: RFK Jr. to organize in Michigan to Clean up State's Waters
Who: Robert F. Kennedy Jr.,
What: Launching of the Detroit Riverkeeper program
Where: U of M Michigan Union, 530 South State Street, Ann Arbor, Anderson Room
When: 1 PM, Friday, October 25 -- On the 30th Anniversary of the Clean Water Act
Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. will announce the creation of the new Detroit
Riverkeeper Program that will formulate and implement
plans to clean up and protect all of the waterways that feed into the Detroit River and the nearby Lake Erie.
*Joining the press conference will be the Granholm Campaign.
State Senator John Cherry will announce
the Granholm support of the Riverkeeper Alliance and a major program to reverse the deterioration of
Michigan’s waters. Cherry and former Michigan Environmental Council Advisor, Dave Dempsey,
will announce that under a Granholm Administration the governor will empower a State-wide Citizen Corps of
volunteers to monitor the states' inland waters. . . . more details will be release*
The Detroit Riverkeeper will be the 89th member of Kennedy’s Waterkeeper
Alliance. And the fourth member in the State of
Michigan. The Riverkeeper is an alliance of volunteers who combine their efforts to be the “eyes and ears” of the lakes, rivers
and streams. The Waterkeeper Alliance is the fastest growing environmental organization in the country.
The announcement is just part of two days of celebration events kicking
off the fundraising drive for the new Detroit
Friday October 25, 2002
· 4 p.m. in the UM Chemistry Auditorium: Mr. Kennedy will speak on “A Contract With Our Future”
· Ann Arbor Riverkeeper Fair, Friday October 25, 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Riverside Park. Over 35 environmental exhibits including the opportunity to try out the Segway: There will be two Segway’s, and a chance for the public to try out the two wheeled, 85 pound battery-powered personal transportation device which has a small computer and gyroscopes.
· “Fundraising Reception with Dessert and Drinks,” Friday, Oct. 25th at Matthaei Botanical Gardens in Ann Arbor, at 7:00 p.m., hosted by Ann Arbor Mayor John Hieftje and the Huron River Watershed Council. Tickets call 734-327-0019
Saturday October 26, 2002 Agenda
· Belle Isle Riverkeeper Fair , Saturday October 26, 9 a.m. to
3 p.m., Flynn Pavilion on Belle Isle. Over 25 environmental
exhibits including the opportunity to try out the Segway:
· “Breakfast with Bobby” at the Detroit Yacht Club on
Belle Isle, Saturday, Oct. 26th at 8:30 a.m., hosted by Detroit
Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and the Friends of Belle Isle. Tickets call 734-327-0019
· Wyandotte Riverkeeper Fair, Saturday October 26, 11
a.m. to 5 p.m., at the Wyandotte Boat Club, in BASF Park, next
door to Portofino’s on the River. Over 25 environmental exhibits including the opportunity to try out the Segway.
· Mr. Kennedy takes a Boat ride on the Detroit River,
leaving from Portofino’s on the River (3455 Biddle, Wyandotte) at
11:30 pm, on The Friendship. It will tour the new Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge and the major environmental hot
spots in the lower Detroit River. Some reserved press seating is available.
· “Riverlunch” at 2 PM, with a speech by Robert F. Kennedy
Jr. at Portofino’s on the River, 3455 Biddle, Wyandotte,
sponsored by the American Heritage River Initiative, the Detroit Audubon Society, the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Friends
of the Rouge, the Rouge Gateway Partnership, and the Grosse Ile Nature and Land Conservancy. Tickets call 734-327-0019
For more information: call Fran Potoni at 734-260-5343, or Blair J. Mc Gowan at 313-720-9115.
International Waterkeeper Alliance http://www.waterkeeper.org/
Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. bio data http://www.riverkeeper.org/our_bio_rkennedy.ph