Re: E-M:/ Vote

At 08:45 AM 10/30/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from "William Tobler" <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>
>
>Alex,
>Do you have more Pro/Con information on Prop 4?  I am still undecided.
>I followed your link below, and I appreciate some of the sentiments,
>but am not convinced yet.

Then you may want to listen to former Attorney General Frank Kelly
and his comments about Proposal 4.....in last 15 minutes of this Off the
Record program  [by the way, if you are serious about politics in Michigan,
you simply must watch Off the Record on public TV every week].   Kelly,
who gained the tobacco settlement...opposes Proposal 4.

http://red-cedar.wkar.msu.edu:8080/ramgen/Archive/otr/otr020920.rm

you will need Real Player or an equivalent media player....

 From an environmental perspective, all of the programs financed by the
general fund in Michigan DNR and Michigan DEQ are going to be at
risk in the coming budget deficit debate.  Proposal 4 is only going to make
that
problem worse.    From an environmental perspective ask yourself if it is
more important to take money that might otherwise go to the general fund
and earmark it to pay for the health care expenses of smokers and to finance
advertising trying to discouraging smoking, or to pay for wetlands and
water quality
regulation financed by the general fund.....I would think that, from an
environmental
perspective, it would be extremely unwise to permanently earmark funds to
divert
them from the general fund......especially when the tobacco settlement was
intended to
compensate the state for historically having to spend medicare and other
expenses previously on smoking [and thus previously/historically shorting
other state needs not related to smoking---like environmental protection
and education].

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com
"NO" on Michigan Proposal 4 ---   Say "no" to public money grab by private
organizations when state faces a $1 billion deficit.
http://www.protectmiconstitution.com/

NO on Prop 4 Flyer:  http://www.protectmiconstitution.com/PPKCpdf2.pdf