Re: E-M:/ Potential development of the Humbug Marsh looming

Enviro-Mich message from "Dave Dempsey" <davedem@hotmail.com>

Another sneak attack.  Please make sure, everyone, that you read the entire
article.  Mr. Lanigan distorts what both candidates have to say on Humbug
Marsh.

The entire Posthumus quote:

"I’m a strong outdoorsman and preservationist, and I really believe when
you’ve got a unique piece of property like that, everything ought to be done
to preserve it.

"To me, the people of the local communities ought to make the determination.
I don’t think the state necessarily ought to step in. They’ve been very
clear on where they want to go here."

The entire Granholm quote:

"If it meets with the environmental laws, should it be approved? Yeah.

Is there a situation where MID can present a plan consistent with the
environmental needs as well as the desires of the (developer)? If there is,
it doesn’t look like they’re there yet."

In other words, in a hypothetical case where MID could present a plan that
would be consistent with the environmental laws and needs of the state and
community, the state would be required to approve it.  But MID hasn't, and
won't.

Another interesting quote:

Q: Is DEQ Director Russell Harding out no matter who’s our next governor?

Posthumus: I’m not going to say that, but my administration will be people
that are working for me. I would expect we’ll have a whole new
administration.

Embedded in that question subtly is the assumption that this administration
has screwed up the environment.

...There have been a lot of things this administration has done correctly.
Too many people want to play politics with the environment. But our water
quality has continued to improve since the 1970s.

Q: What changes, if any, will you make to the Department of Environmental
Quality if you’re elected?

Granholm:

...We need a strong enforcement arm. The number of enforcement matters that
have been referred to the office of attorney general under this
administration have dropped precipitously and that’s wrong, too.

If you pollute, you ought to be part of the responsible cleanup. That has
been a very frustrating thing from our office’s perspective because we have
a wonderful division that handles the environmental matters.

These are career civil servants who are passionate about the environment.
They have been enormously frustrated by the lack of enforcement.

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access!