RE: E-M:/ RE: / Picket Meijers for selling Ice Mountain thissaturday in Madison Heights

Enviro-Mich message from "Joshua Martin" <joshua@americanlands.org>

I am not personally involved in this campaign, but influencing corporations
and calling for an ethical shift in the market is not "ridiculous," as was
stated.   I personally think it should be combined with other strategies as
well, such as legislative, but for better or worse in our society
corporations have  tremendous power and influence and their choices and
sourcing policies have a tremendous affect.  In this climate, some could
argue that how you spend a dollar is as powerful as who you vote for. For
example, motivating home improvement retailers to change their wood sourcing
policies is beginning to result in forest protection on the ground.

A market economy only really has a chance of functioning sustainably if
people are equipped with perfect information when making economic decisions.
Most often, people have no idea of the true cost of the products they are
buying.  Picketing and informing them can help improve this market failure.

Joshua Martin
American Lands