Re: E-M:/ RE: / Picket Meijers for selling Ice Mountain this saturday in Madison Heights

Title: Re: E-M:/ RE: / Picket Meijers for selling Ice Mountain this saturday in Madison Heights
another corporate dupe who simiply doesn't get it........

Enviro-Mich message from fred cowles <fecowles@yahoo.com>

I am not conflicted on this issue.  Perrier built
wells legally to produce quality bottled water to
distribute locally.  Meijers is buying a locally
produced, quality product and selling it at a fair
market price.  Where's the problem?  It's with the
Michigan Legislature.  We need a regulatory program
for water withdrawls from both ground water and
surface water.  It should cover water use for drinking
water, beverages, cooling, industrial products, power
generation, and irrigation.  Michigan needs to make
rational decisions on what uses are appropriate and
what uses are inappropriate.  This may not be as easy
as it sounds.

We generally think that growing Michigan corn for sale
to China is a good thing, while bottling Michigan
water for sale in Arizona is a bad thing.  We need to
find objective means for drawing clear distinctions,
then get the Legislature to do its duty to protect
Michigan from robber barons while supporting honest
entrepreneurs who provide valuable products.

========= Fred Cowles

--- "Link, Terry" <link@mail.lib.msu.edu> wrote:

> Enviro-Mich message from "Link, Terry"
> <link@mail.lib.msu.edu>

> Frank, et. al.,
>
> I'm conflicted on this issue. A colleague and I
> stopped to get something to drink on our way up to
> the Great Lake Bioneers Conference a couple of weeks
> ago. When she went to the cooler for a bottle of
> water there was Ice Mountain, and 3 or 4 other
> brands. One from FRANCE. Seems to me it makes way
> more since to use water from local areas than from
> distant areas where we add on all the environmental
> costs of transporting a heavy item a great distance.
> Better yet, why not give up the plastic bottled
> water here and drink from the tap. Most of us are
> fortunate to have good drinking water available from
> out taps.
>
> Why aren't we screaming about the breweries that
> suck our water dry or the soda pop or....you get my
> drift. Let's work to have the source of thirst
> quenching local. And then let's move on to local
> food, and other locally produced goods. Of course,
> the Perrier folks will probably ship this Ice
> Mountain stuff all over the world. What a totally
> nutty system. If our tap water isn't good enough for
> us, maybe we should be fighting that battle to
> remove the need(?) for bottled water in the first
> place, or is this just a marketing scam bottled
> water drinkers have fallen for...
>
> Thirsty for thought,
>
> Terry Link,
> Not a candidate for any political office this year,
> but given the usual dearth of choices on our Clinton
> County ballot, feel free to write me, or someone
> else, in as a protest vote....
>
> I wish enviro-mich'ers would seriously consider
> running for political office next time so we can
> have better choices!!!

HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/

ENVIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.   Archives at

Postings to:  enviro-mich@great-lakes.net      For info, send email to
majordomo@great-lakes.net  with a one-line message body of  "info enviro-mich"

"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience.
Our problem is that numbers of people all over the world have obeyed
the dictates of the leaders of  their government and have gone to war,
and millions have  been killed because of this obedience. . . Our problem
is that people are obedient all over the world in the face of  poverty and
starvation and stupidity, and war, and cruelty. Our problem is that people
are obedient while the jails are full of petty thieves, and all the while
the grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem."

    Howard Zinn,  "Failure to Quit", p. 45

"Disobedience, in the eyes of any one who has read history, is
[hu]man's original virtue. It is through disobedience that progress
has been made, through disobedience and through rebellion." --Oscar
Wilde