Re: E-M:/ N-Viro Fertilizer from Toledo

Similar problems existed in Australia where toxic wastes were being imported as fertilizer.

The labelling requirements and import controls were totally inadequate.

The story was broken by a paper called the Sydney Morning Herald  http://smh.com.au/ and could probably be found in their archives http://smh.com.au/archive/ (and use the search box in the top left and the modify search option on the results page), but it costs to get more than a few lines of teaser text.

I have put the relevant articles in the email below.

If anyone has information on dioxin remediation standards and in particular where US or State EPA's have insisted on less than 1 ppb residual I would be grateful for details. Similarly if anyone has a copy of a well reasoned submission on why the residential cleanup standard for dioxins should be less than 1 ppb I would appreciate a copy.

Hope the info on fertiliser below is of some help. In particular the top two stories might be worth purchasing - heaven forbid anyone should purchase them and quote relevant parts in another posting.

Kind regards

Paul Hanly

*****

Action on toxic waste fertiliser
Companies disposing of industrial waste as fertiliser or soil conditioner may be subjected to tough new state regulations following the announcement yesterday of a joint review by NSW Agriculture and the Environmental Protection Agency.
Sydney Morning Herald 25/05/2002     Cost - $1.65     434 words

*****

Toxic load sent back in fertiliser crackdown
The Federal Government will send back to China a shipment of hazardous waste imported as fertiliser and will push for new national standards to block such material.
Sydney Morning Herald 09/05/2002     Cost - $1.65     292 words

*****

The truth about fertiliser waste
The jury may be out on the safety of recycling toxic industrial waste as fertiliser. But governments and fertiliser manufacturers should not assume they can assuage public alarm at the practice simply by asserting it is harmless. Compounding the understandable public unease is the manner in which this agricultural application was developed. They might not have been deliberately secretive, but the authorities have done little to advise or educate consumers that heavy metals such as arsenic, cadmium and mercu
Sydney Morning Herald 09/05/2002     Cost - $1.65     492 words

*****

Fertiliser companies now police themselves
Australian consumers have no way of knowing what is in the fertiliser they are spreading over their farms and gardens.
Sydney Morning Herald 07/05/2002     Cost - $1.65     565 words

*****

Industrial waste sold as fertiliser
Big businesses across Australia are disposing of their industrial waste as fertilisers or soil conditioners to be spread on farms, vineyards and home gardens.
Sydney Morning Herald 06/05/2002     Cost - $1.65     584 words