E-M:/ How to Save Our Rivers: Ecosystem Management on the Muskegon River

Enviro-Mich message from Anne Heise <aheise@wccnet.org>

Friends,

Rivers and streams are among our most endangered ecosystems.  Water use,
sprawl, agriculture, forestry, industrial discharges, dams, and the
introduction of non-native species are attacking our waterways.
Traditional approaches to managing our rivers have limited the damage but
failed to stem the deterioration of water quality and wildlife habitat.

There's hope on the horizon as the concept of 'ecosystem management' gains
favor.  Rather than managing water quality, land use, wildlife habitat,
pollution, endangered species, non-native species, and other environmental
concerns as separate problems, ecosystem management deals with these
issues in a consistent, unified manner.  This may sound conceptually
simple, but it's complex and controversial in practice.

This Tuesday (Nov. 19), Professor Michael Wiley of the University of
Michigan's School of Natural Resources and Environment discusses his
pioneering work in implementing ecosystem management to help protect the
Muskegon River.  Whether you're interested in learning about ecosystem
management, protecting local waterways such as the Huron, Raisin, and
Rouge Rivers, or enjoying a pictorial tour of one of Michigan's most
beautiful rivers, you should find this event to be of interest.

The meeting begins at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens and is
followed by our social hour, during which you can meet others who share
your interests in exploring, enjoying, and protecting nature.  Got all
your holiday gift shopping done yet? If you want to help stop sprawl (at
no cost to you) while buying groceries, books, CDs, and other merchandise
at the stores where you already shop, we'll have EarthCash shopping
vouchers available for sale by cash or check.  We'll also have Sierra Club
2003 calendars for sale.

Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group General Meetings are held on the third
Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located
at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of
US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public.
Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

We hope you can join us at Tuesday's meeting.  Please feel free to forward
this message to others who might be interested.

Doug Cowherd
Co-chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro