E-M:/ what BUsh is up to

Michigan has a lot to loose with the upcoming Bush anti-environmental attacks.  Take a look at today's Washington Post piece on the right-wing zealots who are going to be making laws that BUsh will sgn.  Attacks on every single environmental law.  The only hope for the next two years will be moderate republicans.  The Bush disaster keeps getting bigger and the losses keep getting worse.

Our human evolutionary history makes fighting off the greed-based republican policies very, very difficult. Particularly when corporate interests control so much of the public media these days.

 One thing is already for sure, the Bush Administration has put Mark Rey in a position running the Forest Service.  Michigan's national forests are now on the chopping block and there's going to be very little the public can do about it if they succeed in gutting NEPA and NFMA and ESA and the CWA, and MTBA and other critical laws.

For a good summary of what is about to take place, check out this article in the New Yorker.

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/?021118ta_talk_kolbert

snip

"The next two years will have consequences that far outlast either President Bush or the new Congress. Once a forest is cut down, or a stream is filled in with waste, or a wildlife refuge is opened up to oil drilling, it's virtually impossible to undo the damage—at least in our lifetime, or our children's, or our children's children's. By now, we have become practically inured to these sorts of losses and depredations, skimming past news about the hole in the ozone, or the latest mysterious fish die-off, or the recent study warning that as many as half the planet's plant species are in danger of extinction. In the end, this may be the best way to understand an election like last week's, and why the environment was not even an issue.next two years will have consequences that far outlast either President Bush or the new Congress. Once a forest is cut down, or a stream is filled in with waste, or a wildlife refuge is opened up to oil drilling, it's virtually impossible to undo the damage—at least in our lifetime, or our children's, or our children's children's. By now, we have become practically inured to these sorts of losses and depredations, skimming past news about the hole in the ozone, or the latest mysterious fish die-off, or the recent study warning that as many as half the planet's plant species are in danger of extinction. In the end, this may be the best way to understand an election like last week's, and why the environment was not even an issue."