Re: E-M:/ ULTIMATE OBSCENITY....JOHN ENGLER AS EPA ADMINISTRATOR

Enviro-Mich message from Steve Gutterman <sgutt@umich.edu>

Perhaps, but this political day isn't going to end simply by the forces of
the cosmos.  It is time to demand that moderate Democrats and even
Republicans stop cowering before the Bush Administration, whose political
genius has been to milk the theme of perennial- war-time patriotism for
everything it's worth in order to quash nearly all debate and advance a
radical right wing agenda for which it has no popular mandate at all.  This
agenda has, since the beginning of this Administration's tenure, that is,
way back before September 11, 2001, included decimation of long-fought for
environmental protections.  Christine Todd Whitman has done admirably in
facilitating the agenda, but for real action, John Engler is the man to do
the job.  It is time to speak forcefully.

Here's the link to the Inquirer article:
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/4551169.htm

For some alternative takes on the Democrats' failed political strategy of
feckless kowtowing to the Republican-defined political "center" that is
ever-drifting rightward, here are two editorials from last week's <The
Nation>:
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20021125&s=editors
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20021125&s=nichols

Steve Gutterman

--On Tuesday, November 19, 2002, 11:55 PM -0600 "David J. Zaber"