E-M:/ Freep Editorals - Factory Farms & "Confessional Style" Public Hearings

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <daniel.farough@sierraclub.org>

Folks,

The Free Press has published two editorials today on the Factory Farm
pollution control permits the Sierra Club and a coalition of environmental,
family farmers, public health and rural groups have been fighting for.  The
proposed permit, not suprisingly is terrible and the Free Press I am glad to
say captures the problems extremely well.

The second editoral is on the new DEQ format for public hearings that should
be a concern for all of us.  This format, which they intend to use at
today's event, replaces traditional public hearings in which citizens speak
out in front of each other or submit written comments with what we are
calling a "confessional style" hearing.  In this confessional format,
citizens stand in line for their turn to sit at a table with a tape
recorder.  Needless to say this squleches public input and the ability of
the people and the press to learn about important issues, and who are those
involved.  The Deq has been slowly introducing this new format (which may be
illegal) over the last year or so.  People who have been through it express
enormous frustration at the process and not being heard.

http://www.freep.com/voices/editorials/ecafo21_20021121.htm

http://www.freep.com/voices/editorials/ehear21_20021121.htm

I invite all of you to come to this hearing, both for the Factory Farm
issue, but also to protest confessional style "public hearing" that is
really more about the Bureaucrats than the people impacted.

DEQ Public Meeting on Animal Factory Pollution Control Permits
Holiday Inn Conference Center (Conveniently located next door to the Farm
Bureau)
7501 W. Saginaw
Lansing, MI

3pm -10pm