E-M:/ Re: Wetlands and Sludge

Enviro-Mich message from "Erik Janus" <Janus@nwf.org>

Is there a scientific basis to this 38 months?

It seems reasonable, but for certain metals, they will
reside in the sludge longer than 3 years (36 months)
I bet. (Assuming that weathering studies from metals in soils
can be applied to sludge...)

- Erik

Erik R. Janus
Great Lakes Natural Resource Center
National Wildlife Federation
213 West Liberty, Suite 200
Ann Arbor, MI  48104-1322
phone (734) 769-3351, ext. 44
fax (734) 769 1449
janus@nwf.org

>>> fred cowles <fecowles@yahoo.com> 11/26/02 11:12AM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from fred cowles <fecowles@yahoo.com>

This response is from the DEQ employee responsible for
the Biosolids Program (Municipal Wastewater Sludge
Disposal Program):

There is a one year isolation time from the time of
last biosolids application until land can be used for
high public contact uses such as parks.  However, the
law requires a 38 month waiting period from the last
application of biosolids until the land can be used to
grow root crops such as carrots and potatoes for human
consumption.  Because new homeowners can grow root
crops in gardens on their land that is subdivided and
developed from former farm fields, it is my opinion
that the same 38 month isolation time should apply.

Although the risk associated with pathogens from
biosolids is significantly less than land where raw
animal manure is applied. There are no legal
restrictions on development of land where animal
manure has been applied.