E-M:/ DEFCON 2---Enviro-Mich Goes to Political War Mode

Dear Enviro-Mich Participants:

Because of events of the last month and increasing signs
in the last week, it appears that the environmental community
must go to a "political war" footing.   ......and I'm not talking about
Iraq and Afghanistan.

We're at DEFCON 2 going on DEFCON 1 when it comes to politics on
national environmental protection and conservation matters.   The
web of national environmental protection and conservation
statutes that protect our environment and resources is under
virulent attack by President Bush, his administration and
his allies in the Republican Party, in industry and in the right-wing
think tanks.

In the space of 5 days, the Bush/right wing/industry attack
toppled clean air regulations requiring best available control
technology for major modifications at existing industrial plants----well
settled regulatory requirements that have been effect for the last 25
years.  Today,
the Bush Administration announced a wholesale attack on
National Environmental Policy Act requirements and planning
regulations governing national forests.   What outrage will next
week, or even tomorrow, bring???????

The recent NY Times editorial about "environmental war clouds" was
completely on point  { http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/25/opinion/25MON1.html
  }  We are now going to be in a hot political war with
George Bush and his congressional allies on national environmental protection
and conservation rollbacks.   We are behind and in a bad position
on playing defense because all of the friends of environmental protection
that were committee chairs in the U.S. Senate have been cast aside with
the change in the balance of power with the last election.  We now have
troglodytes like Sen. James Inhoff and Sen. Pete Domenici running the show.
And now we have the worst of the worst, Rep. Tom Delay, running the show
in the U.S. House.

The attacks from Bush and his allies
are going to come fast and furiously in the form of
bad legislation, bad appointments to judicial and administrative posts,
bad riders on appropriations legislation, and particularly with bad
federal rulemaking.  You are going to be subjected to untold number
of lying politicians claiming that they are protecting the environment
even while they are smashing all of the teeth out of environmental and
conservation statutes.

EM has usually focused exclusively on Michigan environmental protection
and conservation issues.   However, for the duration of this crazy time of
environmental attack which is now beginning [like during the time in 1994
with the "contract on America"], I am relaxing the EM posting rules to allow
national alerts on environmental defense campaigns to be posted at will
to the EM list.

Unfortunately, we have a president now that doesn't think he has to
answer to anybody and who has openly made statements about
how easy it is for dictators to govern.   Concurrent with the Bush
Administration
national attack on environmental protection and conservation, is a simultaneous
and equally threatening attack on the fundamentals of a democratic society ---
everything from overwhelming emphasis on governmental secrecy,  to the loss of
constitutional due process protections, to a near fascism when it comes to
protection of business interests [note, for example, the recent provisions
of the
"homeland security" legislation exempting drugmakers from tort liability from
putting thimerosal (highly toxic ethyl mercury) into vaccines].    Recent
news articles
have disclosed that the Bush Administration appears to be targeting
political activists that are its opponents for harassment by creating lists
of "suspect" individuals who get unreasonable security procedures at
airports.....
http://archive.salon.com/news/feature/2002/11/15/no_fly/index_np.html
http://www.ccr-ny.org/whatsnew/nofly.asp
The Administration is even planning a system which will create a massive
federal effort invading privacy to snoop on ordinary
Americans.
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2002/11/26/nelson_speech/index.html?x
http://www.aclu.org/Privacy/Privacy.cfm?ID=11323&c=130
http://www.darpa.mil/iao/TIASystems.htm
http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/SafeandFree.cfm?ID=11355&c=206

Given current conditions please re-commit yourselves to citizen
activism, participation and defense of our national environmental
and conservation statutes.   Your volunteer activism, participation
and citizenship are needed now more than ever before....with
letters to editors and even more energetic and advanced forms of
citizen environmental leadership.

For those posting such national alerts, please always include detailed
information on responding to such alerts, including phone and fax numbers
for people to use in their responses.

Regards,

Alex Sagady
EM Listmanager

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com
Quote of the Week:

  "Osama bin Laden is still alive and plotting more attacks while we play
bureaucratic shuffleboard."    Sen. Robert C. Bird (during debate on
homeland security bill).