Re: E-M:/ DEFCON 2---Enviro-Mich Goes to Political War Mode

Enviro-Mich message from "David J. Zaber" <dzaber@chorus.net>

Now we're really beginning to see the lies of the Republicans regarding
environmental protection.  They claim to be environmentally concerned but as
they scurry to gut all our environmental protections, their true colors (a
bland orange with a brownish tint...?) are showing through.

Remember, its hard for the lying Repubs to lie to their constituents when
they are confronted face to face with real evidence.  Make they accountable
by going to their offices and waiting till they meet with you.  More people
the better when you meet with them.  Don't ignore the facts but NEVER think
the facts are sufficient to sway anti-environmental zealots like Englard,
Bush, and the people he has appointed.  Political pressure is the most
useful tool today.

Also, there is no precedent for what we are about to enter for the next two
years.  Get off your assess and walk the streets in front of the
Republican's offices.  Make them accountable.

Follow them to all their meetings and ask why they are not standing up for
the environment.

Make it fun and don't let their mendacity and evil get you down.  Even their
kids will get cancer from more pollution following Bush rollbacks.  Let them
know how you feel.

Its time to take back the streets.  They can have the Fox/NBC/ABC/CBS
studios.  They cannot, and will never be able to do the grunt work necessary
to change the political reality in this nation.

For good political coverage, go to:

1. www.buzzflash.com
2. www.mediawhoresonline.com (after the new year; they're on vacation)
3. www.bartcop.com
4. www.commondreams.org

And finally, don't lament.  Channel anger into productive, non-violent,
action.  Its up to us now.

Have a great holiday.

Dave Zaber
Habitat Education Center

p.s. a short story I wanted to pass along.

The spouse of a friend of mine told me a story the other day.  She grew up
in Midland, her dad was a top Dow executive (and far-right wing idealogue),
now retired.  She always denied that there was any increased risk of cancer
(breast cancer in this case) or other health problems from living and
growing up near Dow.  However, she finally saw the light when she was
visiting Midland recently and speaking with older spouses of other current
and former Dow executives.  She asked one of the women about increased rates
of cancer.  The response surprised her.  The spouse said that, yes,
"everyone has it" (cancer).  When asked why they don't bring it up and make
the connection between the enormous synthetic chemical plant they lived near
and health problems, the spouses said that their husbands would have none of
it.  Her husband wouldn't believe her anyway and would deny that Dow caused
the problems.  Well, that made my friend think twice and she finally figured
out that she is at risk and that the executive wives of the town know there
is a problem but they don't raise the issue for fear of offending their
husbands.  You've come a long way baby......

My friend, who was raised Republican, now voted straight Democratic and I've
never seen her more politically aware and active.  I'm Thankful for that.