E-M:/ FW: Midwest Environmental-Labor Summit

Enviro-Mich message from Pamela Ortner <Ortpam@comcast.net>

Midwest Environmental-Labor Summit

To: Midwest Labor and Environmental Leaders
From: Bill Carey and Jim Jontz
Date: December 1, 2002

MIDWEST BLUE-GREEN SUMMIT

The Alliance for Sustainable Jobs and the Environment (ASJE) would like to
ask for your help, advice, and participation in a regional event to bring
together Midwestern labor and environmental activists and leaders on
February 28-March 1, 2003.

As you know, ASJE is a network of trade unionists and environmentalists who
believe that both our movements are stronger when we can work together.
Over the past two years, ASJE has had a growing presence in the Midwest
through our programs on worker-friendly approaches to climate change and
power plant cleanup, new jobs in renewable energy, and our campaign against
"Fast Track" trade authority for George Bush.

Some Midwesterners participated in ASJE's annual meeting earlier this year,
but we appreciate that travel to the West Coast is difficult for many.  Our
2003 annual meeting has been set for April 12-13, 2003, in Seattle, and we
hope you will attend.  However, by holding a "Blue-Green Summit" in the
Midwest, we hope to provide the opportunity for many more regional labor and
environmental leaders to interact and plan common strategies than would
otherwise be possible.

With a hostile political climate in Washington D.C. and mixed control of
State Houses in the region at best, 2003 is a critical time for labor and
environmentalists to work together more effectively.  That's what the
"Blue-Green Summit" is all about.  The program is in a formative stage, but
the basic idea is to provide a place for frank and constructive discussion
of the barriers to greater blue-green cooperation, thought provoking
presentations on critical issues, and opportunities for strategic planning
on the items that are most important to you.

Unless we discover major conflicts with our proposed date of February
28-March 1, we will soon reserve the conference facilities at Pokagon State
Park in the far northeast corner of Indiana, right off the Toll Road and
I-69.  We hope the Summit will attract labor and environmental leaders and
activists from Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana, as well as Illinois, Wisconsin,
Minnesota, and Iowa.

If the idea of a Midwest Labor-Environmental Summit is of interest to you,
please help in the following ways:

a) Let us know if you are aware of conflicts with the February 28-March 1
date;

b) Let us know if your organization would consider endorsing the Summit (no
financial obligation would be incurred); and

c) Let us know if you would be willing to help in planning the program.

Thanks for your interest.