Re: E-M:/ More quarry dewatering - public hearing

Enviro-Mich message from <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>

There is much more to say about this proposed "permit".
It is another example of what the MDEQ has become - a pimp for every dirty
industry out there.

For those that want to read the draft permit:
http://CrittersWoods.org/Maybee/s1.pdf      page 1
http://CrittersWoods.org/Maybee/s2.pdf      page 2
http://CrittersWoods.org/Mabyee/s31.pdf    page 31, last page

There is no limitation on total dissolved solids.  The current discharge is
about 3 times the legal maximum regarding TDS concentration.

There is a 45 microgram/Liter limitation on poisonous hydrogen sulfide.  The
regulated maximum is 0.08 micrograms/Liter, or 500 TIMES less.  2 micrograms
per liter is considered by the fish hatchery industry to be the maximum
allowable.

No real mixing zone.  No regard for Total Daily Loads.

The requested discharge rate is more about 40 times the previous amount.
Stony Creek is already on the Clean Water Act Section 303(d) non-attainment
list because of another quarry where the MDEQ refused to enforce permit
limits and very long time, extensive violations.

Same people.  Same results.  At both the quarry and at the MDEQ.  Same
blame.
The MDEQ tried to slide this one through by failing to properly notify the
adjacent residents or even the host township.

This is the "permit" that quarry operators would kill to have.  And once
they have it, they do kill.
Public Hearing on December 10.  Time and place described on page 1 of the
proposed permit.