E-M:/ Engler spins green

Friends:

In a legacy burnishing move, soon to be ExGov Engler seems to be trying to
write his own version of history as his administration winds down.  Today's
Free Press includes some in an article entitled "What Gov John Engler
considers his major achievements" at:
http://www.freep.com/news/statewire/sw68421_20021220.htm -- on the 11 items
on the list, two environmental items:

--Enabled Michigan to lead the nation in reclaiming contaminated industrial
sites known as brownfields.

--Passed the $675 million Clean Michigan Initiative to reduce pollution, fix
up state parks, improve water quality and clean up contaminated sites.

No doubt many of you will have comments on these.

For something more informative and from what I believe is a more complete
discussion of his enviro legacy, check out Dave Dempsey's story in the City
Pulse at http://www.city-pulse.org/021218/021218cover.html  -- the title of
the story, written by Michigan's premier environmental historian, says it
all:
"The Plunder Years of John Engler:Environmental Record Reminiscent of 19th
Century Michigan".  Dave puts this 12 years into the context of Michigan's
previous years of uncontrolled plunder of our natural resources and
environment, and examines a cross section of actions by Engler admin over
the past dozen years that have left imprints on our environment that may
last generations.

Anne Woiwode

Anne Woiwode, Staff Director, Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter
109 East Grand River Avenue, Lansing, Michigan 48906
517-484-2372; fax 517-484-3108  anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org
visit the Mackinac Chapter on the web at http://michigan.sierraclub.org