Re: E-M:/DIFT

Enviro-Mich message from Frank Ambrose <snakeman1549@yahoo.com>

As someone who lives in southwest detroit along one of
the proposed routes to the 840 acre site, I can say
that I would not wish the dift onto anyone. MDOT's new
"alternative" is only being put out there to get the
pressure off their back from the NIMBY groups and
people. Its the classic divide and conquer strategy.
We need to realize that this project cannot be put
into anyones back yard, even if it is cut up into
smaller chunks. The only alternative that we should
not immediately react in opposition to is one which
the DIFT is cancelled and the existing yards and
blights are cleaned up and made into a park or some
other community enriching space. There really is no
reason even to study it if it still proposes container
yards and truck traffic.

The people that will be benefiting from the DIFT will
never live anywhere within the city of Detroit, or
even Ferndale, at best they will be in Birmingham or
Bloomfield, but probably be in Dallas, Los Angeles, or
London. In fact, the current railyard they want to
"fix up" is owned by CSX railroad (none other than the
corporation that has been placed in charge of finances
by master Bush). The only reason for the DIFT is to
hasten the complete implementation of NAFTA and the
other free trade agreements. If you think NAFTA and
neoliberalism are bad for workers and the environment,
then you should oppose the DIFT as it is just NAFTA
put into action.

Southwest Detroit, and most of detroit for that
matter, already has too many trucks and too much
industry. What we need to do is get rid of them, not
limit it, or even keep it at its current level. We
cannot be afraid to ask for what we want, instead of
what we think we can get, otherwise we will end up
with neither.

Frank