>>> "Dave Dempsey" <davemec@voyager.net> 12/23 1:06 PM >>>
 Excerpts from a release that contains several other personnel choices...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Monday, December 23, 2002

Granholm-Cherry Announce

 Department Directors

            LANSING * Governor-Elect Jennifer M. Granholm and Lt.
Governor-Elect John D. Cherry today announced nominees for department
directors, continuing to fill out their Cabinet.

            Janet Olszewski of Williamston was nominated to be director of
the Department of Community Health. Olszewski currently is Vice President of
Government Programs and Regulation for M-CARE. She previously served in both
the Engler and Blanchard administrations in the departments of Community
Health and Public Health.

            *Janet Olszewski will bring experience to a department that will
be critical to providing economic security to our families,* Granholm said.
*From bolstering the Medicaid program to developing innovations that make
health care more accessible for our citizens, Janet and I will work together
to ensure that our health care system is top quality and customer-friendly
for both patients and providers.*

            Steven E. Chester, 48, of Williamston was nominated to be
director of the Department of Environmental Quality. Chester currently is a
principal at Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone. He previously served in
the Environmental Protection Agency under President Clinton as deputy
director in the Office of Criminal Enforcement.

            *Steven Chester has a strong track record in the fields of
environmental enforcement and compliance,* Granholm said. *I wanted a DEQ
director who would crack down on polluters, but who would also work with
companies to ensure compliance and not threaten economic growth. Steve will
strike that balance.*

###