E-M:/ Steve Chester - excellent choice for MDEQ Director

Enviro-Mich message from James Clift <jamesmec@voyager.net>

I have known Steve Chester for a number of years and think he is an
excellent selection for Director of the Department of Environmental
Quality.  Steve Chester's background is in environmental enforcement, a
critical weakness of the current administration.  You can read his bio
on the Miller Canfield website:
http://www.millercanfield.com/people/attorneys/bio.asp?ID=1905

Because of his background in criminal prosecution of violators, Steve
understands there is a small percentage of the regulated community who
will for financial gain ignore environmental laws.  It good to have a
person at the top who is versed in the use of all the tools necessary to
gain compliance.

He also appears committed to opening up the lines of communication with
the public and respecting the expertise of committed department
employees who have held out for an administration that will back their
efforts.

We at the Michigan Environmental Council look forward to working with
the new director to meet the challenge of protecting our natural
resources in our current tight fiscal situation.

James Clift, Policy Director
Michigan Environmental Council
119 Pere Marquette, Ste 2A
Lansing, MI 48912