FW: E-M:/ Mr. Steve Chester, Esq. --- Excellent choice for MDEQ Director!

Enviro-Mich message from "Rohrer, Thomas K" <rohre1tk@cmich.edu>

Dear Enviro-Michers:

I have to whole-heartedly agree with the comments posted by Ms. Couture
and Mr. Clift <attached below>.

Governor Granholm could not have made a better appointment to the post
of DEQ Director than Mr. Steve Chester.

Mr. Chester is an outstanding attorney and has an impressive track
record of environmental law enforcement in his past positions with the
Michigan Department of Attorney General and the USEPA's Office of
Criminal Enforcement.  He has a thorough understanding of environmental
statutes and rules under both Michigan and Federal law.  Furthermore, he
has a strong personal commitment to environmental protection and solid
personal ethics.  He is a gentleman and a scholar and one of the finest
people with whom I have ever had the pleasure to work.

Some in the environmental community may be concerned that, for the past
seven years, Mr. Chester did some work where he represented corporate
clients who had violated environmental laws.  I had the opportunity
several times to work with Mr. Chester in these situations in my former
position as chief of water quality enforcement for the MDEQ.  Even when
we were seated on opposite sides of the table, Mr. Chester always
conducted himself professionally and recognized that his clients needed
to come back into compliance with the law.  He was also very receptive
to settlements that included supplemental environmental projects which
had direct benefits to the local environment.  He was one of the best
defense attorneys that we worked with in settling complex water quality
cases.

I fully expect him to be a great leader at the DEQ and to do his best to
improve the morale and productivity of the agency and get staff focused
on the critical environmental issues facing this state.  It is my hope
that the environmental community and concerned individuals will offer as
much support as they can to Mr. Chester as he leads one of our most
important state agencies forward in a time of great financial
difficulty.

Best wishes,

TOM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thomas K. Rohrer, Director
Environmental Studies Program
318 Brooks Hall
Central Michigan University
Mt. Pleasant  MI  48859
U. S. A.

Ph. (989) 774-4409
email = tom.rohrer@cmich.edu

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can
change the world: indeed it is the only thing that ever has!
                     -- Margaret Meade