Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 8:10 AM
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Portrait of Engler

I sent the following reply to Phil Power regarding his column on Engler.  Perhaps others should also comment.

"His capacity to see an opening, to strike suddenly, and to be ruthless in the exercise of power is unparalleled in my experience. He keeps reminding me of William Blake's famous line, 'how stealthy the crouch, how silent the leap.' "

Your portrait of soon-to-be-formerly "Honorable" John Engler puts me in mind of a giant, bloated rattlesnake.  I'm glad to see that it looks like he may have been helpful in your campaign to conserve some of Michigan's forests.  But what does it say about the condition of democracy in our state, that we would suffer such a creature (in a relatively sympathetic portrait) to serve as our governor for so many years? >From a broad grassroots perspective involving economic equity, environmental protection, and the vigor of participatory democracy, his administration has been a nightmare.

Tom Stephens
Guild/Sugar Law Center
733 St. Antoine, 3rd Floor
Detroit, Michigan 48226 USA