E-M:/ more on today's executive order

Enviro-Mich message from "Dave Dempsey" <davemec@voyager.net>

>From various wire stories about Gov. Granholm's order signed today barring
some violators of labor, environmental, and some other laws from doing
business with state government --

"With my first executive order, I am sending a message to those seeking to
do business with this state: If you abuse Michigan's workers, Michigan's
people, Michigan's environment or Michigan's laws, you should not expect to
do work for this state," she said.

One of the executive orders signed Thursday allows the director of the
Department of Management and Budget -- who hasn't yet been named by
Granholm -- to bar companies from doing business with the state if they've
been convicted of a crime that conflicts with services they provide. A
hearing would ultimately decide the issue, she said.

Granholm said companies that violate the Michigan Consumer Protection Act,
Natural Resources and Protection Act, prevailing wage and fringe benefit
laws or the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Act could be prohibited
from doing business with Michigan under the order.

******

Chuck Hadden of the Michigan Manufacturers Association said he's concerned
the executive order for businesses doesn't reflect Granholm's intention to
target repeat offenders.

"I believe the governor about going after bad actors only," Hadden said.
"But this would basically stop (the state) from doing business with anyone
who has a state or federal environmental violation."

******

Republican Senate Majority Leader Ken Sikkema of Wyoming said Michigan
already had high ethical standards before Granholm's executive orders.