E-M:/ Former Forest Service Chief Speaks Up

Michigan has three national forests, all of which are in the crosshairs of the Bush War Against the Environment.  Mike Dombeck, former Forest Service Chief, writes today in the New York Times about the role of forests in producing clean water.  Here's a snippet:

"New national-forest planning regulations should now specify that the remaining old-growth public forests should not be harvested, since these wild lands provide the cleanest water in the country. Rather than wasting energy on the rancorous, tired debates about road building in the wilderness and old-growth forest management, the focus should be on how to let our forests do their job of producing high-quality water. Given our water supply problems, this should be the highest priority of forest management."

Mike Dombeck, a professor of global environmental management at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, was chief of the United States Forest Service from 1997 to 2001.