E-M:/ The well still needs an operating permit

Enviro-Mich message from Mary Beth Doyle <marybeth@ecocenter.org>

The Haz. Waste injection well still needs an operating permit from
the DEQ. According to an email I received yesterday from Steven
Sliver, the permit application is still being completed and has not
yet gone out for public comment.

However, it is still very important to attend tomorrow's hearing.
There are many ways that the well is inappropriate. The land ban
exemption the EPA is proposing is certainly one of them.

I'm no geologist, but the fact that a class one injection well in
Ashtabula Ohio appears to have triggered seismic activity seems
problematic to me.  Researchers believe that there was a pre-existing
fault line. However, it was not detected before the well was built.

Mary Beth

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/geosurvey/oh_geol/01_No_3/seismicb.htm
(FROM THE WEB PAGE ABOVE:)
These data led Seeber and Armbruster to conclude in published reports
that the Ashtabula earthquake sequence had been triggered by fluids
from the injection well. Armbruster has pointed out, however, that
this was a pre-existing fault under strain--in essence, an earthquake
waiting to happen--and the injection fluids simply triggered it
earlier than would have been the case if only natural forces were
involved. It is worth noting that no surface faults are visible in
the area, no subsurface faults had been detected from data available
prior to the earthquakes, and detailed searching of historical
records by Armbruster did not  reveal any events within 30 km of
Ashtabula.

--

Mary Beth Doyle, MPH
Environmental Health Project