Re: E-M:/ Granholm says no to Toronto Trash

Enviro-Mich message from Andrew Mutch <andrewimutch@yahoo.com>

If Governor Granholm can make a difference, I can tell
you that it would a huge political win along with an
environmental win. I know several people who were not
Granholm supporters who would be very pleased if she
could stop this Toronto trash. They were very upset to
read about this increase in imported trash and are
looking to her to do whatever she can to stop it.

Andrew Mutch
Novi

--- Jeff Surfus <jeffsurfus@comcast.net> wrote:

> Enviro-Mich message from Jeff Surfus
> <jeffsurfus@comcast.net>

> From today's Toronto Star:
>
> New governor says 'no' to Toronto trash
>
> The flow of Toronto's garbage across the Ontario
> border into Michigan
> would become a thing of the past if the state's new
> Canadian-born governor
> has her way.
>
> While that would delight critics of the 3,500 tonnes
> of city trash trucked
> daily to a Michigan landfill, American and
> international trade rules
> likely make an outright ban next to impossible.
>
> Still, Gov. Jennifer Granholm, who took over
> Michigan's helm on New Year's
> Day, has made minimizing the import of garbage a key
> goal, an aide said
> today.....
>
> (Note:  Don't click on the partial link below.  Cut
> and paste the entire
> link and place in your browser address bar.)

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Art

icle_Type1&c=Article&cid=1041937464095&call_page=TS_News&call_pageid=96833