E-M:/ Ethics? We don't need no stinking ethics!

In stark contrast to Governor Granholm's second Executive Order setting
ethical standards for her administration, the US House of Representatives
has decided to rewrite its Ethics rules, in direct conflict with the
recommendations made in a report this past November.  The new ethics rules
allow a "pizza exemption", meaning that lobbyists can buy food and send it
in for committees meeting in government office buildings, and that
"charities" may pay for Reps travel expenses and lodging at resorts to give
speeches or attend forums.

As those in the environmental arena are painfully aware, while Americans
care about being green and keeping the world green, those who are shelling
out green to exercise influence are often able to overwhelm our efforts by
buying elected officials support.  There can be virtually no doubt that this
will undercut good government, and foster deterioration of environmental
protections, among a range of other issues.  A link to a CNN story is below:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/01/07/weakened.ethics.ap/index.html