Re: E-M:/ Granholm says no to Toronto Trash

Enviro-Mich message from "Frank Ruswick" <RUSWICKF@michigan.gov>

I do not believe the issue is whether most political and policy actors
in this state would truly like to limit widespread use of Michigan
landfill capacity by out-of-state generators.

I believe the issue is, given the limitations on state actions
regulating interstate commerce, what can they effectively do to
accomplish that purpose?

I am sure those actors would be interested in any ideas in that
regard.

>>> Jeff Surfus <jeffsurfus@comcast.net> 01/08/03 11:51AM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from Jeff Surfus <jeffsurfus@comcast.net>

This is an issue that should, and in most cases does, cut across
political
boundaries.

Republican, Democrat, Green, Libertarian, (insert any other party
here)....No one wants Michigan to be the dumping ground for someone
else's
waste.  Obviously there are those politicians who have their hands in
the
pockets of the waste management lobby (no naming names here) who will
always put up roadblocks, but we have to overwhelm them.

I'm tired of hearing politicians say there is nothing we can do about
this
problem.  The leaders who step forward and say YES, LET'S DO WHAT IT
TAKES
will be the true heroes.  And as Andrew says, there will be
environmental
and political benefits from this effort.

I can tell you from personal contact that those in Toronto are scared
death that we are going to do something.  The question is ARE WE GOING
DO SOMETHING?  Or are we going to let them dump on us for the next 20
years?

Governor Granholm and Michigan Legislature are you listening?

Jeff Surfus
NO WASTE