Re: E-M:/ Granholm says no to Toronto Trash

Enviro-Mich message from Jeff Surfus <jeffsurfus@comcast.net>

It's not just a NIMBY issue, but NIMBY is one of the most effective ways
of organizing and getting the attention of that mass of people out there
who don't give these issues a lot of thought.

It's a waste management/recycling/diversion issue.  Until we can
effectively get everyone to start taking care of their own waste, we will
never get away from the "out of site, out of mind" mentality.

With all the ruckus that has been raised about Toronto sending their trash
to Michigan, we and others have forced Toronto to make some hard choices
about their waste management future.  As it stands right now, Toronto is
on track to achieve a 60% rate of waste diversion by the end of 2004!!!
That is tremendous and it will result in less waste coming into Michigan,
but more importantly Toronto is putting in the infrastructure to make
landfills less and less necessary for their future.

You know what did that....NIMBY did that!

The technology, the know how, ...everything is out there to help all of us
become less reliant on the absurd notion of burying our waste in the
ground.  It's going to take a groundswell of effort on all our part to
overcome the bill of goods that the waste management companies are selling
us every day.

By the way it is an environmental issue too!  I don't care what man can
engineer, eventually each and every landfill will leak.  What we are going
to be left with 30 years after these super landfills close is a ticking
time bomb and no accountability.  That's the legacy we'll be leaving for
future generations with each of these high tech holes in the ground.

Call it NIMBY, call it what you will.  It's time for a change and I hope
Gov. Granholm is up to the job.

Jeff Surfus
NO WASTE