E-M:/ More on local ethanol-production plant

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Barbara Jean Madsen wrote:

... see below ...

Hello Barbara,

I don't entirely agree with your analysis of my opposition
to using Michigan farm lands for ethanol production.

There are a couple of problems:

Our meat consumption is much, much higher than third world countries, and
that is not going to change. Hence, for each serving of meat an individual
eats, I would estimate that at least four people could have been fed if
the grain to get that meat, was eaten.

Also, global warming, drought, civil wars, drug wars, AIDS, poverty, etc.
are all contributing to greatly reduced food production in many parts of
the world. In this regards, there is a real shortage of food.

More to the point, ethanol production from grain, has many hidden factors
which also contribute to the energy problem, other than just removing the
grain from the food supply.

i.e: after you add up all the energy factors to get the grain and then
convert it to ethanol, are you really any further ahead in solving the
energy problems?

For example, add up the nitrogen required to grow the grain, the energy
needed in produce the petrol-chemical fertilizers to get the nitrogen,
the energy required for the conversion to ethanol, the transport and
storage costs, etc.

On the other hand, if all the organic by-products like chaff, straw,
manure, etc. were used instead on our farms in Michigan, to get methane
via anaerobic composting, we have a net energy gain instead of a net
energy loss.

I think that type of argument should be presented, opposing
the use of our Michigan farm lands for ethanol production.

Lowell Prag