Re: E-M:/ More Time for Comment on Exemption at Romulus Disposal Well

Enviro-Mich message from Mary Beth Doyle <marybeth@ecocenter.org>

The hazardous waste well is not a done deal yet!

The EPA process is NOT about the operating permit. The well still
needs an operating permit from the DEQ. This permit has not yet been
released for public comment.  The DEQ has said they will schedule a
public hearing regarding that permit.

The EPA process is about the land ban exemption.  The well operators
need to demonstrate to the EPA's satisfaction that the hazardous
waste will not migrate off site or contaminate an underground source
of drinking water for 10,000 years.

The EPA has said that they will NOT allow the land ban exemption for
the haz. well IF the Sun Oil extraction permit is also granted. (The
Sun Oil facility is about half a mile from the well site.) The DEQ
has denied Sun Oil's permit, and Sun Oil has taken them to court over
the denial of the permit. Also, the cities of Romulus and Taylor have
sued under the claim that the construction permit was improperly
granted, and that issue is still in the courts.

So if you want to make sure that Michigan doesn't become a hazardous
waste dumping ground (as well as a solid waste dumping ground) --
speak out against this well!

The draft decision is posted on EPA's Web site
http://www.epa.gov/region5/water/uic/pubpdf/factsheet.pdf.   It is
also available
for review at the following libraries:  Eshelman Library, Henry Ford
Community College, 501 Evergreen, Dearborn; Romulus Public Library, 11121
Wayne Road; and Taylor Community Library, 12303 Pardee Road.

To review EPA documents related to the Romulus well and the land ban
exemption, go to:
http://www.epa.gov/region5/water/uic/uicpub.htm and scroll down to
"Current events and hot topics"

The EPA will be accepting written comments until May 16th.

--

Mary Beth Doyle, MPH
Environmental Health Project

734-663-2400 ext 108