E-M:/ Alternative/renewable energy in Michigan ...

Hello Chuck,

Per your post below, we need many more such information meetings that you
held recently at Pierce Cedar Creek Institute on alternative/renewable
energy.

My main observation would be that photovoltaics and windpower to generate
electricity for private homes, are still too expensive for many people
whose homes are not very energy efficient to begin with and for those
people, the cost needs to get down to around $1/watt to be competitive
with coal and natural gas fired electricity in Michigan.

In short, for homes that are not energy efficient, the present
installation cost of these alternative/renewable energy sources,
requires a long payback period of 10-20 years.

In this regards, you mentioned that Tom Stanton is involved in raising
Michigan's building codes. I would like to know more on that because if
you can increase the energy efficiency of building structures, you lessen
the load that alternative/renewable systems are expected to carry and
hence, you lower the costs of installing those systems.

With r60 roofs, r40 walls, r20 foundations, and high r windows, you
will achieve about a 90% reduction in heating loads in Michigan and such
superinsulation only adds about 10% to the renovation or new building
costs. Translated to cost savings in Michigan, your total yearly heating
bill will be about $0.05/ft2.

For a 2,000 ft2 home, that equals: 2,000 x $0.05 = $100/year
for the total heating bill using natural gas in Michigan.

With that type of efficency, the installation costs for the on-site
renewable/alternative power is greatly reduced and you can easily switch
to electric heating using your own electricity or use passive solar gains,
solar hot water heaters, etc. in a hydronic system to heat the home and
have practically no heat bill at all.

If you use the latter hydronic heating approach, you then have most all of
your own electricity for use to run your electric appliances and for
backup power, you can either use a grid connection or your own generator.

In this regards, you sent Tom Stanton a post for me awhile back on getting
the documentation on the MPSC ruling allowing utilities to charge more for
grid backup power. I haven't received it yet and getting this ruling
changed is a necessity, as it is counterproductive for the installation of
alternative/renewable energies in Michigan.

We also need more education on the use of private sector performance
contracting where the energy savings are used to pay for the
installation.

Michigan does have a government performance contracting division in
Lansing, but it is only used presently for awarding contracts for
government buildings. There should be a push to get it expanded to also
assist the private sector, as it did many years ago before they trashed
the program.

Last, why don't we have a government buydown in Michigan, like California,
where home owners can save 50% on the cost of the alternative/renewable
energy installations? Here's a description of the program in California:

California's Renewable Energy Buydown Program
www.consumerenergycenter.org/buydown/

Lowell Prag