Re: E-M:/ Agent Orange and Leukemia

Enviro-Mich message from "Erik Janus" <Janus@nwf.org>

Agent Orange contained dioxin as a contaminant in the
2,4,5-T and 2,4-D mixture until the early 60's, when
the manufacturing process was changed and dioxin
no longer found its way into the herbicide.  Unfortunately,
by that point huge quantities of "contaminated" AO it were
already manufactured and applied on VietNam and along
the DMZ of Korea for the next decade or so.  Most unused
55-gal drums of herbicides (incl. AO) were sent to the Johnston
Island Atoll Army facility in the Pacific Ocean, where I believe
they were incinerated.

- Erik Janus

Erik R. Janus
Great Lakes Natural Resource Center
National Wildlife Federation
213 West Liberty, Suite 200
Ann Arbor, MI  48104-1322
phone (734) 769-3351, ext. 44
fax (734) 769 1449
janus@nwf.org

>>> "Alex J. Sagady & Associates" <ajs@sagady.com> 01/25/03 12:11AM

Enviro-Mich message from "Alex J. Sagady & Associates"
<ajs@sagady.com>

The New York Times has an article about the
association between Agent Orange  exposure
[which is a mixture of 2,4,5 trichloro-phenoxy-acetic acid and
2,4, dichloro-phenoxy-acetic act, plus inadvertent chlorinated
dioxin/furan contaminants if my
memory serves me correctly] and leukemia.

Dow Chemical Co. of Midland was among the
producers of this material.